Japan has the world's most convenient and efficient railway network. Japan Railways(JR) Group are proud of their international reputation for frequent service, punctuality, high speed and safety. Travel by train is also the ideal way to view Japan: You ride comfortable and carefree, as vistas of a nation glide before your window - mountains, forests, lakes, highlands, and the sea.
NTA New Zealand trading as jrpass.co.nz draws on 113 years in Japan and 25 years of experience in New Zealand, over 2,500 trained employees, 286 branches within Japan and 37 group companies throughout the world to offer the utmost satisfaction to you. We promise prompt, efficient, worry free service, supported by our computerized system. Whether you desire total planning or limited assistance during your trip to Japan, we consider you our guest in Japan and extends to you the courtesy we value highly.
Process all orders within 30 mins for customer who pick up
Offer the competitive price in New Zealand dollar
Free Information Booklet
Free Japan Rail Pass information (includes JR maps) booklet
Pay When You Pick Up
You can Pay when you pick up your exchnage order for JR pass
Friendly Customer Support
Free and friendly customer support by Japanese consultant
Eligibility & Conditions:
JR (Japan Rail) Pass & Regional Pass ELIGIBILITY:
JR Pass & Regional Pass is a special fare ticket that is available only to travelers visiting Japan from foreign countries for sightseeing. To be eligible to purchase a JR Pass or Regional Pass, you must meet one of the following two conditions.
1.You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sightseeing, under the entry status of "TEMPORARY VISITOR".
"TEMPORARY VISITOR" entry status, according to Japan Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for "sightseeing, etc.". When you enter Japan for sightseeing, Immigration personnel will stamp the passport as "TEMPORARY VISITOR". Only persons who have a passport bearing the stamp can use a JR Pass or Regional Pass.
Caution: Even if you visit Japan with an Exchange Order (NTA Exchange Order), to be exchanged in for a JR Pass or Regional Pass, the exchange cannot be made unless you have "TEMPORARY VISITOR" status; if you enter Japan under any other official status, such as "Trainee", "Entertainer" or "Reentry Permit", you can not change the exchange order for a JR Pass or Tourist Pass. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, "TEMPORARY VISITOR" status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.
2.You have both Japanese passport and written proof - obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live - that you have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more
*You must present both your passport and proof of eligibility to purchase an Exchange Order in a country other than Japan and to exchange your Exchange Order for a JR Pass in Japan.
*You cannot use a photo copy of your passport to purchase an Exchange Order or to exchange your Exchange Order for a JR Pass.
*You can purchase an Exchange Order and exchange it for a JR Pass only if your stay in the country for 10 consecutive years or more is verified by such written proof.
For further information for Japanese passport holder, please access to ENGLISH or JAPANESE
JR Pass & Regional Pass VALIDITY:
The valid period of a JR Pass is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days and Tourist Pass is the consecutive 5 days beginning on the date the Pass is first used. Within three months from the date the NTA Exchange Order was issued, you must exchange your NTA Exchange Order to obtain JR Pass or Regional Pass in Japan. At that time, it is necessary to specify the date that you want to start using the Pass. It can be any date within one month from the date the Pass is received. Once the Pass has a starting date written on it, the date cannot be changed.
JR Pass & Regional Pass REFUND POLICY:
-A NTA Exchange Order that has not been exchanged for a JR Pass or Regional Pass can be returned to our office for a refund, within one year of the date of issue. In such case 10% of the NZ$ price of the Exchange Order will be subtracted from the refund as a handling fee and communication fee.
-After a NTA Exchange Order is exchanged for a JR Pass or Regional Pass, the Pass can be presented to any exchange office for JR Pass or Regional Pass in Japan for a refund if this is done before the starting date of the Pass. (Ten percent of the Japanese yen price of the Pass will be charged as a handling fee.)
-Also no refund or extension of the validity period can be made in the event of a train non-operation, delay, or the like.
-Neither an order nor a pass can be reissued if lost or stolen. Please ensure its safekeeping.
-Please note that if you type incorrect or insufficient information and reissuing of the voucher is required (including misspelling of names, not advising middle name or departure date is more than 3 months later), 10% of the NZ$ price of the Exchange Order + any fare difference will be charged. *In case the fare as of the date of reissue is cheaper than the fare of the original order date, the fare difference will not be refundable.
CONDITIONS of USE:
(1) JR Pass and Regional Pass is valid only for the person whose name appears on the pass. The user must meet the usage qualifications such as being a foreign national visiting Japan with the entry status of Temporary Visitor. Please note also that the pass is valid only when it has a JR Pass or Regional Pass ticket attached.
(2) When you begin using your pass, present it to the attendant at a manned ticket gate. The attendant will apply a stamp in the space provided for official use. When passing through the gate, always present your pass to the attendant so that the period of validity is visible.
(3) While using JR Pass or Regional Pass, you must carry your passport and be prepared to present it to a station attendant or car conductor if requested.
(4) JR PASS is valid for reserved and non-reserved ordinary car travel on all JR Group Shinkansen “bullet trains” (except for the “Nozomi” and “Mizuho” services), limited express trains, express trains, and local trains (Green Class passes are valid for Green Car travel) and the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit system).
JR pass is also valid for travel on the JR Miyajima Ferry between Miyajima and Miyajimaguchi Station, buses operated by JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Tohoku Bus, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus, and the Tokyo Monorail. However, please note that JR PASS is not valid for travel on JR Group buses that travel on expressways and some local bus routes.
*JR Pass is not valid for travel on the “Nozomi” and “Mizuho” Shinkansen services (including non-reserved seats on both).
To board those services, you must pay in full for the basic fare and the limited express charge.
*The routes covered by JR PASS are subject to change.
*When using JR Pass to travel on JR Group transport services that extend through lines operated by companies other than JR Rail, JR Miyajima Ferry, JR Bus (excluding some routes such as expressway bus lines), and the Tokyo Monorail, you must pay separately for the fare and other charges of the distance traveled on such sections. However, no separate fare or charges are required when you just pass through the following segments without stopover.
(a) The Aoimori Railway between Hachinohe and Aomori, Aomori and Noheji, or Hachinohe and Noheji. (Valid only for use on ordinary trains)
(b) The IR Ishikawa Railway between Kanazawa and Tsubata. (Excluding travel on trains other than JR lines extending beyond that segment)
(c) The Ainokaze Toyama Railway between Toyama and Takaoka. (Valid only for use on ordinary trains) (Excluding travel on trains other than JR lines extending beyond that segment) You must purchase a Liner ticket in addition to the PASS to use “Ainokaze Liner.”
(5) JR Pass itself does not insure seating options. If you want to use reserved seating, be sure to get seat reservations before boarding (no additional payment needed). To obtain a reserved-seat ticket, present JR Pass at the ticket office (Midori-no-madoguchi) at a JR station, a Travel Service Center, or a sales office of a major travel agency. When using some trains, you are required to receive a reserved seat ticket, too. You can use non-reserved seating with JR Pass alone. Please note, however, that some trains do not have non-reserved seating. Also, if you wish to travel in a private compartment on a Shinkansen or a limited express train, you will be required to pay the limited express charge for the private compartment, as well as the Green Car charge if the private compartment is a Green Car accommodation. An extra charge is also required if you wish to travel in a sleeping car, a DX Green Car or Gran Class accommodation. If you ride in a Green Car using an ordinary car pass, you will be required to pay the Green Car charge, as well as the limited or regular express service charge. (No extra charge applies when using a Green Car pass.) You must also pay an extra charge in advance to travel on a local train requiring a numbered ticket or a liner ticket. JR PASS does not allow you to change to a reserved seat or sleeping car after boarding.
(6) If you use non-reserved seating, or if you travel in an ordinary car using a Green Class pass, no refund shall be paid for the fare or other charges.
(7) JR Pass can be used only within its validity period.
(8) JR Pass cannot be exchanged for other types of passes or tickets. Nor can the validity period of the pass be changed.
(9) Please note that JR Pass cannot be reissued in the event that it is lost or stolen.
(10) Once you have started using JR Pass, the validity period cannot be extended, nor will any refund be issued, even if trains and other qualifying transportation services are suspended or delayed for any reason. Moreover, the JR Group will not bear additional costs due to changes in your route, such as alternative transportation costs or accommodation charges.
(11) In addition to the terms and conditions set forth above, when using JR Pass you must obey the JR Group’s regulations, terms and conditions, and the laws of Japan.
(12) The use of JR Pass in violation of the terms and conditions above or the JR Group’s regulations, terms and conditions may result in the invalidation and confiscation of the pass, as well as assessment of a penalty amounting to twice the basic fares and charges for all transportation services for which the pass was used.
(13) The official terms and conditions of JR Pass are written in Japanese, and the text of the Japanese version shall be given priority of interpretation in the event of questions regarding transportation conditions that may arise regarding conditions written in other languages.
(The details shown above are current as of June 2020. They are subject to change.)